Periculum Global have experienced qualified Consultants who can lead and facilitate SIL Determination studies, Safety Integrity Level Determination studies, ranging from calibrated Risk Graphs, to semi-quantitative Layers of Protection Analysis (LOPA) and fully-quantitative Fault Tree Analysis (FTA).
A SIL Determination study is required to determine the Safety Integrity Level requirements, SIL requirements, for Safety Instrumented Functions (SIFs). This involves determining the necessary risk reduction that is required to meet the tolerable risk for specific hazardous scenarios.
This typically involves:
- Determining the potential frequency and consequence of a specific hazard
• Determining the risk reduction provided by other measures and the resulting risk gap
• Assignment of SIL requirements for SIFs based on any resulting risk gaps in accordance with IEC 61508 and IEC 61511.
We at Periculum Global have a huge amount of extensive experience in conducting SIL Determination studies across a variety of industries, such as the process and machinery sector in accordance with their respective standards, IEC 61511 and IEC 62061.
As well as the use of a LOPA as part of a SIL Determination study, other methods such as a calibrated risk graph or FTA can also be used to identify the risk gap and determine the SIL requirements for the SIF under consideration. These methods can be analysed quantitatively or semi-quantitatively based on the outputs from the HAZOP / PHA study.
As part of the SIL Determination study, Periculum Global provide the following:
- A SIL Determination workshop facilitated by one of our experienced SIL Determination consultants
• Calibration of client specific risk criteria
• Demonstration of the As Low as Reasonably Practical (ALARP) principle using Cost Benefit Analysis (CBA) where appropriate
• A record of the SIL Determination study through the production of a subsequent report, providing an overview of the target SIL for the specified SIF under study as well as detailing the study as a whole.